Lamont Jefferson is an accomplished trial lawyer, representing clients who can afford to leave nothing to chance. Whether the stakes involve corporate treasure, trade secrets, or business reputation, companies and individuals turn to Lamont to help resolve the thorniest business-related disputes. He has been go-to counsel on some of the most important cases in San Antonio and South Texas, including litigation over the multi-billion dollar expansion of the South Texas Nuclear Project, litigation over the $26 billion Clear Channel merger, and the recent much publicized litigation involving the Church of Scientology.
Resolving business disputes sometimes requires full-fledged litigation, at other times skilled diplomacy, and sometimes simply honest communication. Lamont’s talents as a seasoned litigator, skilled negotiator, and astute legal analyst make him the right lawyer for a large variety of business disputes.
Lamont is a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers, an honorary trial lawyer organization whose membership is limited to no more than 1% of the lawyers in any state. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and most recently served as president of the San Antonio Chapter. Lamont regularly speaks on topics of interest to lawyers and judges, from trial strategy and tactics, to rules of civil procedure, to professionalism.
Lamont is active in the San Antonio community and currently serves as vice president of the board of directors for the Valero Alamo Bowl. He is on board of directors of the Down Syndrome Association of South Texas, and serves in the Founders Club for the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, and as a board member of the San Antonio Chamber Choir.
- Inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers in 2004 – an invitation only organization limited to no more than 1% of the total lawyer population of any State.
- Representation of a large transitional home in land use dispute with surrounding property owners with millions of dollars at stake.
- 2012 successful jury verdict in federal court in San Antonio involving breach of contract for delivering faulty industrial equipment.
- 2012 jury trial in federal court involving international dispute between arms brokers.
- 2010 non-jury trial involving the multi-billion dollar expansion of the South Texas Nuclear Project – case tried within 6 weeks of initial filing.
- 2009 lead counsel for cross examination of financial advisers and hedge fund managers in bench trial involving the Spectrum bankruptcy.
- Trial and settlement of insurance coverage litigation on behalf of publicly traded corporation – total recovery of more than $17 million.
- Successful jury verdict in San Antonio in case involving contract interpretation with millions of dollars in dispute.
- Representation of beneficiary of trust valued at greater than $100 million pursuing allegations of mismanagement and breach of fiduciary duties.
Representative Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Presenter: ABOTA Masters in Trial seminars series (2009, 2011, 2012).
- Presenter: “Closing Arguments and Post-Trial Motions” – State Bar of Texas CLE (2012).
- Speaker: Panel Presentation on Professionalism and Ethics: “The Texas Lawyers Creed: 22 Years After Its Inception” State Bar of Texas CLE: Business Torts Institute, October 2011.
- Presenter: “Business Disparagement And The Internet: Libel And Slander, Injury To The Brand,” State Bar of Texas – Business Torts, (2010).
- Presenter: “Evolving Issues Regarding Nonparty Electronic Discovery And The Internet,” State Bar of Texas – Advanced Civil Trial Course (2009).
- “The Image and Role of a Lawyer” The University of Texas School of Law (2007).
- Presenter: “Lawyer to Lawyer: Things We Know (But are well to be reminded)” State Bar of Texas Litigation Section Professional Responsibility Program (2007).
- “Where the Buck Stops: Defending the Corporate Representative Deposition” – Texas Bar CLE (2007).
- Presenter: American Board of Trial Advocates, Masters in Trial Seminar (2007).
- Course Director and Moderator, “Brown v. Board of Education: Half Century Later…Are We Half Way There,” State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting (2004).
- “Strategic Discovery, Chapter 4,” State Bar of Texas (2002).
- “Managing a Serious Personal Injury Incident on a Construction Project,” State Bar of Texas – Construction Law Conference (2002).
- “Damages Update” State Bar of Texas Litigation Update Institute (2000).
- “Cross Examination – Lighten Up,” Advanced Civil Trial Course (1999).
- “Fiduciary Duties of Officers and Directors,” University of Houston (1999).
- “Making it Stick – Enforcing Jury Waiver Choice of Law/Choice of Venue Agreements,” ABA Real Estate Section (1998).
- “Caveat Spoliatorem,” Spoliation of Evidence State – Bar of Texas (1998).
Honors and Awards
- Named by Best Lawyers, Woodward/White, Inc., as a “2016 Lawyer of the Year” in Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2016
- Named by Best Lawyers as a “2014 Lawyer of the Year” in Appellate Practice, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation, Appellate Law and Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2003-2015, Commercial Litigation and Litigation – Trusts & Estates, 2012-2015
- Named an Outstanding Lawyer in Commercial Law by the San Antonio Business Journal, 2010
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Law and Politics and Texas Monthly – Business Litigation, 2003-2014, a Top 100 Texas Super Lawyer – Business Litigation, 2010, and a Top 50 Central Texas Super Lawyer, 2005-2014
- Ethical Life Award from Association of Corporate Counsel, South/Central Texas Chapter, 2010
- Martindale Hubbell® Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™
- Sunset Advisory Commission, Public Member (2009-2011)
- University of Texas Law School Alumni Association – Executive Committee (2010-2013)
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation – Member, and past Co-Chair of Commercial and Business Litigation Committee
- American College of Trial Lawyers Fellow (inducted in 2004)
- American Law Institute Member (2004)
- Texas RioGrande Legal Aid (TRLA) – Former Member, Board of Directors (President 2004, 2005)
- American Board of Trial Advocates – Vice President for the local chapter (2013)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel – Former Area Vice President
- American Inns of Court – Master, Local President (2008-2009)
- Texas Access to Justice Foundation – Board Member (2007 to present)
- State Bar of Texas – Member, Board of Directors (2007-2010), State Bar’s Court Task Force on Expedited Litigation
- Texas Supreme Court Rules Advisory Committee – Member (2002 to present)
- State Bar of Texas Task Force on Diversity – Member (2006)
- Texas Bar Foundation – Sustaining Life Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation – Former Member, Board of Trustees
- San Antonio Bar Association – Member, Former Member Board of Directors, and District Courts and Federal Courts Committee (President 2006-2007)
- Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee – Member
- Valero Alamo Bowl – Member, Board of Directors
- Down Syndrome Association of South Texas – Member, Board of Directors