Lisa Barkley is an experienced commercial litigation lawyer with broad based expertise that includes corporate and shareholder rights, trust disputes and related fiduciary obligations, real estate litigation, deceptive trade practice allegations, insurance coverage disputes, partnership and property ownership litigation, legal malpractice and fee forfeiture matters, ad valorem tax disputes, and other complex and appellate business matters.
Lisa often draws from her accounting experience when she was licensed in Texas as a Certified Public Accountant and worked as a CPA with, at the time, a Big 8 accounting firm. Lisa applies her financial knowledge and business experience and acumen to her practice as a lawyer. A thorough and detail oriented attorney, she is able to effectively view transactions and disputes from her clients’ perspective, understanding their needs and objectives and asking the critical questions that lead to a successful resolution of the matter. Lisa particularly enjoys the challenge of finding creative solutions to complex business issues and disputes. Lisa offers a unique balance of legal insight and practical business focus to each representation.
- Representation of a nonprofit organization against a Texas state official and agency attempting to claim ownership of the organization’s priceless and one-of-a-kind private property.
- Representation of a real estate development corporation against a former officer resulting in a substantial damages award after a jury trial, and a significant sanctions award in favor of the client, both affirmed on appeal.
- Representation of a healthcare client against the owner of a MOB (medical office building) relating to terms of a related ground lease.
- Representation of a corporation providing a structured residential environment for individuals and veterans referred by federal correctional agencies in a zoning dispute with local residents.
- Representation of an owner of an apartment complex portfolio against a property management company resulting in a substantial arbitration award and appellate reversal of injunctive relief.
- Representation of a trustee of a $25 million trust involving fiduciary duty and trustee removal issues.
- Representation of minority limited partners in a dispute involving the sale of partnership assets.
- Representation of property owner in multiple-year litigation with appraisal district relating to valuation of assets in excess of $100 million.
Selected Honors and Recognition
- Belva Lockwood Outstanding Lawyer Award, Bexar County Women’s Bar Association (2013).
- Martindale Hubbell® Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.
- Bar Register for Preeminent Women Lawyers, 2011 Inaugural Edition.
- President’s Award for outstanding service to the San Antonio Bar Association (2006).
Selected Professional, Business and Community Activities
- President, William S. Sessions American Inn of Court (2015-2016), Executive Committee (2012 to present).
- Chair, Host Committee, Fifth Circuit Judicial Conference (2011), Co-Chair, Planning Committee Arrangements (2007).
- Board of Directors, Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, Inc. (2012 to present).
- Bexar County Women’s Bar Association and Foundation, President (2008), Board of Directors/Officer (2004-2009), Member (2002-present).
- Chair, Nominating Committee, Texas Bar Foundation District 10 (2009), Member (2013, 2016).
- Subcommittee Co-Chair, Federal Courts Committee, San Antonio Bar Association.
- Sustaining Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation.
- Fellow, San Antonio Bar Foundation.
- Chair, San Antonio Bar Association Installation Committee (2005, 2006).
- Board of Directors, San Antonio Public Library Foundation (2008-2011).
- Past Member, Board of Directors, North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.
- Past Chair and Co-Chair, Leadership Lab, North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce; Director, Leadership Lab Alumni Board of Director.
Recent Publications / Presentations
- “Lawyer to Lawyer: Things We Know (But are Well to be Reminded)” – State Bar of Texas Litigation Section Professional Responsibility Program (2007).
- “Where the Buck Stops: Defending the Corporate Representative Deposition” – Texas Bar CLE (2007).
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Association